Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mind Movies are Playing in our Heads All the Time

Whether you live in Hawaii or deep in the snow and cold of the mainland, attitude and the mind movies in your head are an important part.

Living in Hawaii, I am asked quite a bit from people living in different parts of the world about what life is like living in Hawaii and especially on an Island like Maui. My reply is that it's pretty much like living and working anywhere. I live within a few miles of the beach, wake up to beautiful days and some pretty rotten, wet and windy days, but most of those days I only see a small portion of it. I rarely even get close to the beach.

For the most part if you work in an office, and it's an office like mine where I wear two long sleeve shirts, a jacket and sometimes gloves because of the airconditioning in the building. Then work eight to ten hour days, it really doesn't matter where I work or live.

Living on and island you can have a mind set that allows you to get up at 4:30am and go to work. Put in your time and go home to do the work that still needs to be done. It's not easy and requires you to create a goal in your life and that goal can be like a movie in your mind.

For me, I enjoy traveling and I love mountains. I am grateful for the chances I have to spend at some of the most beautiful places on earth and yet there are many places I would love to visit or even live for a short while.

So this is the mind movie I create for myself. One day to be able to sit back on a deck admiring the scenery and working from home. Or traveling to different places and living and fully experiencing those places for what they are. It would be nice to have the choices and there are ways to create what you envision.

With the economy they way it is and being employed, you have to count your blessings, yet at the same time a few more years to reach retirement age and depending on companies and contracts to provide for you can make the future seem very uncertain.

My mantra and what consumes quite a bit of my time off the "job" is educating myself in areas that interest me. By doing so you find that before very long you have become somewhat of an expert in those areas. For myself I have a variety of interests and not being able to predict the future, but keeping my eyes, ears and especially my mind open to the possibilities, I can see having options in place not only now, but especially in the future.

The last thing I want to do is be in a situation where I physically have to be able to keep up with younger and stronger workers and have to compete with them in the job market.

My advice is to keep an open mind and good attitude. Work at educating yourself in various fields. Hopefully they are one you truly enjoy, but don't limit your education to just your passions. You can be very passionate and enjoy doing a certain type of work, but if there is no demand for it and it doesn't help to pay the bills, it may be best to work that area as more of a hobby.

Eight years ago I didn't know anything about how the internet worked and now I may not be the best, but I know enough to blog, twitter, and even build a website by scratch. That took a lot of learning and time, but it was part of my goal and the mind movie I made for myself. I would love to do a number of other things such as photography, learn to play various instruments and tinker with ideas I've had in my garage, but those I hold for either future use or hobbies, although the photography works well with the internet and social 2.0 internet work. So with that said, open yourselves up to new possibilities. Learn to adapt to the changing world, and it does change fast. Remember education is one thing no one can take away from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments or concerns?
Please leave me a review of this post.
Mahalo
Jim